Words of warning and welcome:

This is very much my blog, so don't be surprised if this doesn't follow accepted patterns and norms. Obviously it started out as a blog about my cross-dressing but it has developed a great deal since then. It is a place where I can be anonymous and honest, and I appreciate that.

It will deal with many things and new readers would do well to check out the New Readers' Page above this and the tag down there on the right. Although there's nothing too bad in here there will be adult language, so be careful. If you think this needs a greater control, please let me know. Thank you!

Tuesday, 2 December 2014

A Question and A Plea

I have a question. Or rather, I'm going to repeat a question I've asked here in the past, but this time I am very deliberately reaching out to transmen and people generally. It is this: can women cross-dress?

This is a woman in a shirt designed and made
for males. Now, question, is this cross-dressing?
Is there a difference twixt this and a male in a
blouse? If so, what? If not, why not?
I've waxed lyrical on here before, I think, about my fascination with clothing associated with gender. This is unsurprising given my own proclivity for clothing designed for, made for and sold to primarily women and seeking it out even when similar designs are available for the males. It does not seem to be based on material or colour so much as the feeling that it is, in fact, designed for the gender that does not conform to my outward appearance. And that is interesting to me. Tilly has said before, and so have my students when posed the question, that women cannot cross-dress.

Also, society in general seems to be more accepting of women wearing clothes that were designed for and made for and sold to men. Seems. Not being part of that demographic I am not at liberty to really comment on society's reactions to them, only they can effectively do that. So, I am reaching out to find out what the views of others are (please comment and let me know, even anonymously, I think it's important to know).




A self-proclaimed female to male
cross-dresser. Question: how is what they are
doing different to what my wife is currently
doing? If there is no difference, why is there
no difference? What, if anything, is the line?
Why do I ask? I ask because of the fact that Tilly, still recovering from her kidney infection, bought a male jumper/hoodie before the illness began. It has become her clothing of choice in the house and outside when she goes shopping or goes off on adventures with the children. And, obviously, it got me thinking. She very deliberately chose a male jumper - it looked, felt and 'hung' right for her to get it. It was not that the design was unavailable in female tailoring (it was) nor that the colours were different (they weren't) but the fact that it was male and thus 'baggier' due to the way in which it was tailored. She has previously worn my hoodie from the States for much the same reason, so much so that it has become part of her wardrobe rather than mine. This is highly visual and obvious (though I suspect that many would not be aware of the cross-dressing nature of it).

And I wonder. Is this actually cross-dressing? That is, does it occupy the same space as a physically male (and I use this term to denote typically male characteristics such as broad shoulders, limited breast development and a penis) who presents as a male wearing clothing designed for females? I have known plenty of males who have chosen to wear blouses, for example, or 'girl jeans' without having any other proclivities beyond that. I realise that my own experiences regarding cross-dressing tend to take things further than this.

So, is it the dressing that makes it cross-dressing or the motivation? If Tilly is not cross-dressing (and is just wearing male clothes - I accept there is a difference) then what makes me a cross-dresser (and I accept that I am) - where is the line to be drawn?

Because all thoughtful, concerned or pensive women must
simultaneously appear constipated.

2 comments:

  1. Joanna,

    I’m writing and thinking about this in real time, so please bear with me. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anything beyond the classic male ‘suit’ that a woman can’t wear without being seen as cross dressing. And even then, there are feminine ‘suits’ that are very close in design to masculine suits.

    I think that’s where the difference is. The cut or design. There are particular clothes that are distinctly feminine and have no masculine counterpart (skirts, dresses, tights, blouses…), but there are no distinctly masculine clothes.

    So in that way, I think a woman must make a very firm effort to ‘cross dress’, and a lot of women dress in a more ‘masculine’ style to show that they can fit in a masculine career or job. Even when there are women’s and men’s jackets and hoodies, a woman can wear the men’s version and pull it off. Most people (myself certainly included) will just look at it as baggy.

    I think if we take steps back far enough where there were more distinct differences in the way men and women dressed, you had the struggle of women attempting to prove that they were just as strong or fit as men. There’s never been a movement for men to prove that they were just as strong or fit as women. When I think of women cross dressing, it is almost always in a suit and tie. To emphasize it they might add a hat and/or some type of facial hair.

    I think that’s the key difference. A woman can completely wear men’s clothes and still not be seen as cross dressing. When a man dresses in women’s clothes, it is a distinct statement. Therefore, with women, cross dressing is more from motivation.

    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I agree. And I can find little flaw in your response (apart from few masculine clothes, historically, this was better defined, but now... you're right).

      In short: yes.

      Delete

All comments are welcome, I have a thicker skin virtually than I do in real life!