Words of warning and welcome:

This is very much my blog, so don't be surprised if this doesn't follow accepted patterns and norms. Obviously it started out as a blog about my cross-dressing but it has developed a great deal since then. It is a place where I can be anonymous and honest, and I appreciate that.

It will deal with many things and new readers would do well to check out the New Readers' Page above this and the tag down there on the right. Although there's nothing too bad in here there will be adult language, so be careful. If you think this needs a greater control, please let me know. Thank you!

Thursday, 16 January 2014

Watchmen

I have already posted about the graphic novel Watchmen on here before. I recall talking at length about the impression that Adrian Veidt's story left on me - the fact that he did all he did deliberately from a position where he had nothing in order to set an example to all people, to prove that anyone could do what he had done. Anyone. On the surface this is challenging enough, but then this was by Alan Moore, so you know that there's a kicker buried in the narrative. And, of course, it was that Adrian Veidt was, in fact, different than most people. He was the world's most intelligent man and he had the reflexes that went with that, in one section of the novel he catches a bullet. The film version of the graphic novel is also challenging but from a different perspective. The focus in the film is very much on Dr Manhattan.





The principal scene in which we are introduced to the life and times of a man who perceives everything as happening simultaneously (as he is outside of time) are accompanied by a particular tune too (see the video above). And it is this section, although less mind-melting than the synchronicity implied and overtly stated in the graphic novel, that provided me with the impact in the film. There is something compelling and challenging about that concept and about the conclusions that are reached by that character about life in his first instance and, then, again when he speaks to his ex-girlfriend. His growing realisation about the sanctity of life is, itself, a parody. This is Alan Moore. But the humanist impulse that governs his journey is accentuated more in the film than it is in the graphic novel.

Now, Rorschach does embody a character who only does
what normal people could do. His difference is his lack of
moral compass. Or rather, his single-minded adherence to
his moral compass. No quarter asked for, none given.
I like Rorschach.
The other thing, apparent in both film and novel, is the question of identity. When dealing with masked heroes the question is easier to show on screen and in art, without needless words littering such an undertaking (novels can't really do introspection on the same level as a personal blog, no one would read it). The scene in question is Dan's apocalyptic dream where he rips off his naked skin to reveal the masked hero beneath - the obvious corollary being that he is more himself when in costume than he is out of it. It was also the only way that he could 'get it up' or enjoy sex with a woman who shared that particular fetish. As Rorschach (another good example of identity when he goes in search of his face in the prison riot) put it: "it's a wonder there are any of us that survive without serious personality disorders".


And that's all I really have for this evening. I want to post about my continuing journey since my last splurge, the abrogation of responsibilities and addiction that I am feeding, but that can wait for another time.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Watchmen post. It's my favorite graphic novel, a true work of art.

    I also wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. Although I don't often leave comments, I always enjoy seeing a new post from you.

    All the best.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes*

      Thank you, Linda!

      All the best to you too and hope all is well!

      Joanna
      x

      Delete

All comments are welcome, I have a thicker skin virtually than I do in real life!