Words of warning and welcome:

This is very much my blog, so don't be surprised if this doesn't follow accepted patterns and norms. Obviously it started out as a blog about my cross-dressing but it has developed a great deal since then. It is a place where I can be anonymous and honest, and I appreciate that.

It will deal with many things and new readers would do well to check out the New Readers' Page above this and the tag down there on the right. Although there's nothing too bad in here there will be adult language, so be careful. If you think this needs a greater control, please let me know. Thank you!

Sunday, 14 July 2013

Beer Review: Black Cat

So I'm having a beer renaissance. Tilly has taken to drinking cider now and again rather than wine and the other day she'd bought some in and felt a bit bad that I wasn't going to be drinking with her and so bought me some beer too. Very nice of her.

She bought me Moorhouse's Black Cat which claimed to be a dark ruby ale with a rich dry chocolate malt taste.


At 3.4% ABV it is on the weaker end of the spectrum that I go for, indeed, I have previously not bought it on the grounds of the weakness of the ale and the fact that it was generally a more expensive option. However, remembering the chocolate-y surprise, in that I actually liked it, of Triple Chocoholic I thought I knew what to expect and tried it. I was wrong. There was a whirl of carbon dioxide from the opening of the bottle that suggested that this was going to be a little bit too fizzy. So it proved. The fizz got in the way of both the taste and the smell. It smelled a little like chocolate, sure, but the overwhelming aroma was of malt and yeast. Taste was a little more in the chocolate zone and almost pleasant after a few sips.

Indeed, the longer one drank this the better it was. In the end it turned out to be a very drinkable beer that could go with most things but it never really lived up to the claims on the bottle. If I had never tasted the Saltaire effort then I suppose I would be writing here about the taste being very chocolate-y, but I have and instead I'm on here talking about the malt and the lack of decent hops flavour that I seem to like in the warmer months.

Overall, this is a winter beer or at least a colder month beer. Best drunk in the ailing light of a fairly short day, maybe with a crisp mist gathering in the bottoms of valleys spreading its tendrils through the woods whilst contemplating a long weekend. Turn off the heating, let the alcohol do its warming work and drink the beverage at the temperature of the room - don't chill it - to get the best effects. Finally, don't expect too much and make sure you've already eaten, it is perhaps too subtle to share your palate with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome, I have a thicker skin virtually than I do in real life!