Words of warning and welcome:

This is very much my blog, so don't be surprised if this doesn't follow accepted patterns and norms. Obviously it started out as a blog about my cross-dressing but it has developed a great deal since then. It is a place where I can be anonymous and honest, and I appreciate that.

It will deal with many things and new readers would do well to check out the New Readers' Page above this and the tag down there on the right. Although there's nothing too bad in here there will be adult language, so be careful. If you think this needs a greater control, please let me know. Thank you!

Sunday, 19 May 2013

Eurovision

It's a Jean-Paul Gautier effort. He of
the Fifth Element fame and so it is
completely bonkers. Excellent.
I love this time of year! Eurovision may be considered to be a sad and stupid thing but it is also the only thing in existence that attempts to bury national antagonism by giving it a musical and camp outlet. A method that makes any kind of serious nationalism look positively quaint and ridiculous, exactly as it should look, and allows a cross-pollination of musical mores and cultures. And, as you probably know from the rest of this blog, I am all about cross-pollination.

So it is that I bring you some laudable entries from the 2013 effort in Malmo. I loved the host, whose costume changes brought my approval for being stylish and clever without being overtly sexualised and whose manner of condescension was friendly and appreciated - I for one found her to be humorous and witty without slipping into being insulting or horrible. Also, the focus was very much back on the music and the history of this most bizarre of contests, in a way that was missing from the horrific coverage of the effort last year in Baku where the local dictatorship successfully used it to promote their nationality and processes at the cost of decent musical talent - something that ends up offending me on two levels.

First up, Romania.
I mean, that voice! That voice is brilliant. I love it.

Then Norway.
She needs dragons, she needs them now and are you going to argue with her?

Finally, the winner: Denmark.
I can see why this won, but it was my third choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome, I have a thicker skin virtually than I do in real life!